Digital PR is an online marketing strategy used by businesses to increase their online presence. Digital PR agencies network with journalists, bloggers and influencers and send online press releases to gain high-quality backlinks, social media mentions and improve their Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
Digital PR vs Traditional PR
Traditional PR refers to those publicists who busted their balls networking with journalists over the phone and schmoozing them at dinner to get their clients into newspapers and print publications (Ab-Fab‘s Eddy and Sex in the City‘s Samantha Jones come to mind). PR traditionally focused on print-based publications, TV and radio. But print media isn’t what it used to be and online media is rapidly overtaking traditional print publications and even TV. With the growth of online marketing, the savviest of these PRs have shifted their focus online to Digital PR.
Here are some of the most common types of Digital PR strategy:
- Publishing articles online to gain high-quality backlinks/li>
- Networking with journalists and editors to gain backlinks/li>
- Publishing press releases and syndicating newsworthy content to earn press features/li>
- Blogger outreach to gain backlinks and mentions on relevant blogs/li>
- Influencer marketing to gain mentions on influential social media accounts/li>
- Affiliate programmes that pay a commission to bloggers who refer customers to your business/li>
- Offline press events or blogger events that aim to gain online coverage/li>
- Sharing and syndicating infographics